ITM Power (AIM: ITM), the energy storage and clean fuel company, is pleased to announce that it has been selected by the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) as the preferred bidder in a recent competitive tender process to become the operator of a Hydrogen Mini Grid System (HMGS) in Rotherham, UK.
The Hydrogen Mini Grid System (HMGS) is a unique UK asset consisting of a 225kW wind turbine coupled directly to an electrolyser, 200kg of hydrogen storage and a hydrogen dispensing unit as well as a 30kW fuel cell system for back up power generation for nearby buildings.
The facility will be upgraded as a showcase for ITM Power’s world-class equipment and used to provide retail hydrogen fuel services within the Sheffield City Region. The HMGS will also serve to develop ITM Power’s modular commercial platform for hydrogen generation systems, power to gas and refuelling solutions. Particular focus will be on the national hydrogen mobility initiatives being undertaken in countries around the world.
The facility is located on the Advanced Manufacturing Park (AMP) in Rotherham just two miles from the M1 motorway network and within reach of large conurbations. This gives the facility a very large catchment area and provides the perfect position for a commercial refuelling station.
The M1 was highlighted as a key route for the early deployment of hydrogen refuelling in the UK in the recently published UK H2Mobility Phase 1 Report [http://www.itm-power.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/UK-H2Mobility-Synopsis-of-Phase-1-Results-Feb-2013.pdf] The HMGS already has planning permission for hydrogen systems and much of the required infrastructure and groundwork is already in place, which allows for very low set up costs to install and use ITM Power’s non-invasive hydrogen generation technology.
Subject to final contract ITM Power will sign a five year lease on the site and will work in collaboration with local authorities, businesses, Sheffield University, DeMontfort University and UPS Systems to provide retail fuel services for a range of low carbon vehicles and provide educational material for the hydrogen sector.
ITM Power CEO, Dr Graham Cooley, said: “We are delighted to have been selected as the operator for the HMGS in Rotherham. The site has huge potential and ITM Power is perfectly positioned to realise this potential with our unique technology. Together with our partners, we will be able to use the site as a retail hydrogen fuel station for the area and it will provide a repeatable blueprint for similar systems to be deployed around the world.”
For further information please visit www.itm-power.com or contact:
ITM Power plc Graham Cooley, CEO 0114 244 5111
Zeus Capital (Nominated Adviser & Broker) Tim Metcalfe / John Goold 020 7533 7727
Tavistock Communications Simon Hudson 020 7920 3150
About ITM Power
ITM Power plc was admitted to the AIM market of the London Stock Exchange in 2004 and raised its initial funding of £10m gross in its IPO. Further funding rounds of £28.5m in 2006 and £5.4m in 2012 have been completed. The Company has now made the transition from a research and development company to a product manufacturer and technology provider. The Company has both a strong base of intellectual property and engineering expertise for providing complete hydrogen solutions. The Company has been successful in developing strategic industry partnerships in the following projects:
- Participation in Swiss H2Mobility
- Hydrogen Cost Structure Update
- Participation in French Hydrogen Infrastructure Programme
- Membership of the Californian Hydrogen Business Council Hydrogen Energy Storage Program
- German Energy Agency Power to Gas Strategy Platform
- Incorporation of ITM Power ApS in Denmark
- Participation in H2USA
- Participation in North Sea Power-to-Gas Platform
- First Sale of ‘Power-to-Gas’ Plant in Germany
- First Sale in Russia
- First Sale in Japan
- Electrolysis to play a key role in Hydrogen Roadmap for UK
- CE Marking of Fuel Cell System for Materials Handling
- EU Funding for Advanced Refuelling Project
- AEG Power Solutions electrolyser integration with power electronics
- DECC Funding Award for the Production of Synthetic Methane
- EU Funding for PEM Fuel Cell Innovation – IMPACT
- Agreement with ABO Wind of Wiesbaden, Germany
- Shell and National Grid Join Gas Inject Project
- EcoIsland TSB Funding
- 700bar Dispensing Collaboration in Germany
- Marks & Spencer Pilot Materials Handling Fuel Cell Project
- UKH2Mobility with leading auto OEM’s, UK Gov’t and industrial gas companies
- EcoIsland with Toshiba, IBM, Cable & Wireless, SSE and Southern Water
- Boeing Unmanned Aircraft System Refueller
- Electrolyser Distribution with Horizon Fuel Cells
- CREO with Ford, Jaguar Land Rover and Johnson Matthey
- Exclusive European distribution rights for Materials Handling Fuel Cells
- Sale of Equipment to EADS
- EU Grant Award for PEM Water Electrolysers Coupled to Renewable Power Sources